School Meals and Lunchtime
We think that there are many good reasons why choosing a school meal is the best lunchtime option for children at Oakmeadow:
Quality meal provision
- Our meals use fresh high quality ingredients.
- Our tasty school meals, provide lots of choice and great variety with menus operating on a regular cycle
- All meat and poultry used is fresh and locally sourced and our fresh vegetables and potatoes are locally sourced.
- We don’t use any preservatives, colouring or additives that are unsuitable for children.
- There are no nuts or Genetically Modified (GM) foods on offer and salt, fat and sugar content is kept to a minimum across the whole menu.
- Non meat choices are available every day
- Special dietary needs can be catered for
- A school meal provides excellent value for money and allows you to budget and plan.
- They are a really cost effective way to ensure your child has a healthy balanced meal at lunchtimes.
- Our complete menu range is available for children eligible for free school meals.
- By choosing school meals you can rest assured that your child has a tasty and nutritious meal everyday, packed full of the goodness that growing bodies need.
- Our menus meet the government’s nutritional standards for school meals.
- Children who eat a well balanced diet at lunchtime are more likely to have better concentration levels in the afternoon, improving their learning, behaviour and health.
- It saves you the time and effort of planning and preparing a varied and nutritious lunch for your child
- It’s one less job for busy parents to do
- No need to worry about the lunch box contents during the warm weather
- Provides the opportunity to further develop their social skills as they sit down with friends to enjoy their meals.
- School meals help encourage good eating habits from an early age.
- There are plenty of opportunities to try new foods, either on the standard menu or as part of our regular promotional theme menus.
- Our well trained catering teams are helpful, friendly and there to ensure your child is satisfied with their meal choice.
- The promotional events we regularly hold add even more fun and enjoyment to our customer’s lunchtime experience.
The government continues to provide schools with additional funding to support or enhance the learning of pupils who are currently or have been entitled to free school meals within the last six years. This funding is called Pupil Premium. However, it is essential that parents and carers apply for free school meals in order for us to receive this funding, even if your child doesn't wish to receive a free school meal.
Who qualifies for government free school meals?
Free school meals can only be awarded if you or your partner are claiming any of the following:
Free school meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
Income-related employment and support allowance
Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
The guarantee element of pension credit
Child tax credit (provided you’re not also entitled to working tax credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
Working tax credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
At Oakmeadow, the money is used for eligible children to:
Subsidise trips, such as educational visits and experiences.
Provide additional support for children with special educational needs and looked after children.
Improve attainment. Children who are below average for their year group and not meeting National Expectations.
If you think that your child may be eligible for free school meals then please click the link opposite.